Saturday, August 7, 2010

SALSA!

My first attempt at homemade salsa happened just a few years ago, and I'm sad it took me so long in life to come up with a recipe that I like. But now that I've got it just how I like it, I'll share.

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 Large Tomatoes
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper/Orange if available
1 Bunch of Scallions (those are those long green onions)
1 Bunch of Cilantro
1 Jalapeño
1 Yellow Onion
1 Red Onion
1 Head of Garlic
2 Small Cans of Tomato Sauce
Salt/Pepper
1 Large Avocado (optional)
2 Lemons
2 Limes


After I wash everything I start by cutting up the tomatoes, small pieces of course. This is the only thing besides the Avocado that I cut by hand. Everything else i use the food processor to chop up.
So I chop up all the different types of onions. With the scallions I only use the white parts up to where it starts to turn dark green. With the Red/Yellow onion I use the whole onion, but you can put in as little/much as you prefer.
After getting rid of the stem & seeds of the bell peppers they are also chopped and added. I should add that you do not HAVE to add all the different assortments of bell peppers. I just like the color and taste they add.
I chop and add about 1/2 of the head of garlic.
With the jalapeño I advice to to use some caution. Last batch I made I added 1 whole jalapeño and it was almost too hot for me (but i am a big baby). This time I added half of one and while it had it's spicy moments it was a pretty good level of hotness.
Avocado I cut by hand and add in.
Lemons/Limes give it a little zest as well as keep the avocado from turning brown, but you can add as little as you like.
With the cilantro I usually cut most of the top leaves off and chop them up. But some people don't like cilantro, so this could be optional as well.
Lastly I add salt/pepper and the 2 cans of tomato sauce- the sauce helps add juice.

And that's it! The best part about the salsa is how fresh it tastes, and how healthy you feel for eating all those vegetables.

This recipe makes A LOT though, so if you don't think you'll store it or use it all, I say half it. Or call me up and I'll take some of it off your hands!




3 comments:

Krissa said...

SO SO GOOD!!! this gets devoured at our house!!!!

I am so glad you posted the recipe....i can stop bugging you about your amazing salsa...haha...

i think i am going to go eat some now!

Walters Family said...

It was umm-umm GOOD! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Here in Brazil is "vinagrete". Yummy, is wonderfull!!

Camilla Pereira